News & Events
UCC tuition update
To offset anticipated gaps in state funding for the new academic year, Umpqua Community College has increased student tuition $10 per credit effective summer term.
The increase brings the total cost per credit at UCC to $85, which is one of the lowest tuition rates in the state.
The tuition increase was approved May 8 by the UCC board of trustees.
Prix Fixe dinners May 23 and June 6
Umpqua Community College’s Culinary Arts students are hosting two five-course dinners to celebrate the end of the academic year.
The Prix Fixe Dinners (French for “fixed price”) will be held at UCC’s Lang Center at 6 p.m. May 23 and June 6. Tickets are $22 and include five gourmet courses. The dinners are themed and planned, prepared, and served by UCC culinary students.
The May 23 dinner will have an Old Mexico theme and feature shrimp ceviche, carne asada tacos, chicken fajitas, and other traditional Mexican dishes.
The June 6 dinner will have a French theme and include bleu cheese salad with peaches and blackberry dressing, roast pork loin with apple onion chutney, and other French delicacies.
Both dinners have vegetarian options. Wine service is available for an additional cost.
Summer/Fall 2013 Registration Dates
Registration dates for undergraduate students are based on overall earned credit hours. Below you may find your summer/fall term registration date.
May 13-15 : 45 or more earned credit hours
May 16-19 : 30 or more earned credit hours
May 20-22 : 15 or more earned credit hours
May 23-26 : 1 or more earned credit hour
May 28 & on ... Open registration for all students
Stop by the Advising and Career Service Center to discuss your summer/fall term classes with an academic advisor or counselor. The summer/fall term schedule is available NOW.
NOTE: Registration begins at 8:00 a.m. May 13. All other days, registration will run continuously.
SUNsational Summer Fun!
Ready for an awesome summer? Check out the SUNsational youth recreation, enrichment and sports camps at UCC! A quick preview of this year’s offerings is below.
Smart Start Academy (Preschool, Ages 3-5)
• June 17-27, Me And My Friend Yoga - Children enjoy becoming animals, trees and more as they build strength, flexibility, and balance in this fun and creative yoga class.
• July 15-18, Yoga – Bend, breathe, and stretch with playful poses. Bring a yoga mat if you have one.
• July 29-Aug. 1, Kids’ Art – Have fun getting your hands dirty to make beautiful works of art!
Discovery College for Kids (Grades K-5, unless otherwise noted)
• Kids On Stage – Experience the wonder and thrill of theater performance. Camp concludes with a free evening performance for friends and family on June 27.
(Grades K-2 and 3-5)
• Discovery Science –Build an egg drop device, investigate bubble solutions, build a balloon car, and dissect owl pellets!
• Crime Scene Investigator – Do you have what it takes to be a detective? Learn how to put your inquiring mind to work solving mysteries and crimes.
• Tech Kids – Fun, fast-paced class helps kids discover new educational and positive websites that build computer skills.
• Kitchen Creations – Exciting cooking projects help kids develop cooking skills and learn basic science. And the best part is... they get to eat the yummy results!
• Mind Over Matter – Test the pH of liquids, experiment with solutions, enjoy fun polymer based activities, and identify mystery compounds. So much fun the kids won’t realize they’re learning
• Full Science Quest Camp – Experience a full week's worth of fun and educational activities for one low price! This camp includes: Discovery Science, CSI, Tech Kids, Kitchen Creations, and Mind Over Matter.
July 15 - 18
ACTION ADVENTURE CAMP
• Zumbatomics – Latin and International rhythms combine with high energy, motivating music and kid-friendly moves to create a party atmosphere that is so much fun kids forget they're working out!
• Amazing Race For Kids – Kids will sharpen their minds and bodies in this fun and challenging race. They will encounter new challenges each day as they race to the finish.
• Body In A Box – Discover how the human body works with hands-on activities, models and technology, books, and educational videos to provide a unique learning experience about the body.
• Yoga – Bend, breathe, and stretch with playful poses. Build your strength, flexibility, and balance as you learn calming and relaxing exercises.
• Self-Defense For Kids – Improve your child's confidence, self-esteem, fitness, and ability to escape or delay harm in a threatening situation. This class is taught in a positive, non-intimidating atmosphere.
• Super Snacker – Make snacks that are as much fun to make as they are to eat. All supplies are included for a new healthy snack each day.
• UCC Olympics – Discover your hidden talent as you compete in kid-friendly Olympic track and field games.
• Full Action Adventure Camp – Experience a full week's worth of fun and educational activities for one low price! This camp includes: Zumbatomics, Amazing Race for Kids, Body in a Box, Yoga, Self-Defense for Kids, Super Snacker, and UCC Olympics.
July 22 - 25
WORLD OF WONDER
(Grades K-2, 3-5)
• Cultures, Traditions And Celebrating Our World – Explore other cultures and traditions from around the globe! From Roseburg to New Orleans, Uganda to Tibet, there is so much life to explore!
• Russian Language And Culture – Privyet! Welcome to Russia! Learn songs, stories, culture, and language from Russian native Tatyana Wahlman.
• Food Art – Who says you can't play with your food! Creating art with food is a great way to get your kids to try new foods and develop their creativity.
• Art Around The World – Take an imaginative journey to far-away lands and experience the excitement of creating art projects from many exotic cultures!
• Full World Of Wonder Camp – Experience a full week's worth of fun and educational activities for one low price! This camp includes: Cultures, Traditions, Celebrating Our World, Russian Language and Culture, Food Art, and Art Around the World.
July 29 - August 1
• Young Rembrandts (Grades K-2 and 3-5) – Learn about famous artists and create your own portfolio of drawings and paintings inspired by their work.
June 18 - July 9
• R.I.P.P.E.D. 4 Kids – This unique fitness program combines Resistance, Intervals, Power, Plyometrics, Endurance and Diet components into a routine that uses high energy music to really get kids moving and having fun!
Matrix Classes for Middle and High School Students (Grades 6-12)
June 17 - 27
• Performing Arts Summer Theater For Teens – Experience the wonder and thrill of the stage as you participate in a Glee-style theatrical production. Instructor Katie Stevenson currently performs theater and teaches music in New
York City. Dance instructor Summer Moore teaches locally at Kathryn Howard's School of Dance. Students will present a free evening performance for friends and family on June 27
July 8 -11
• Explore! Science Camp Aviation Exploration – Take flight! Discover how to read pilots' maps, charts, and aircraft instruments. Practice on a flight simulator used by real pilots, and end the week with a discovery flight in a small airplane (with parental permission).
• Discovery Science – Enjoy four exciting days as you build an egg drop device, investigate bubble solutions, build a balloon car, and dissect owl pellets!
• Tech Academy – Discover new math, science, English, and geography websites; practice photo and video editing, enhance your presentation and poster-making skills, and more!
• Explore! Science Camp – Experience a full week's worth of fun and educational activities for one low price! This camp includes: Aviation Exploration, Discovery Science, and Tech Academy.
July 15 - 18
ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE SURVIVAL CAMP
• Wilderness Survival – Acquire the skills necessary to survive in an emergency wilderness situation. Topics to be covered include: wilderness navigation, first aid, food preparation backcountry rescue, emergency shelters and fire construction.
• Stayin' Alive - First Aid/CPR – Be ready for emergencies! Learn valuable life-saving skills to help you manage illness and injuries in the first few vital minutes until professional help arrives.
• Survival Games - Team up with old and new friends as you attempt to survive each day's action-packed challenges. Enjoy a scavenger hunt, shelter-building challenges, water games, unique relay races and much, much more!
• Self-Defense - Improve your confidence, self-esteem, fitness, and ability to escape or delay harm in a threatening situation using martial arts. This class is taught in a positive, non-intimidating atmosphere.
• Wild Feast - Learn to eat off the land. Identify a variety of herbs, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and game found in the wild and use them to create tasty survival dishes.
• Zombie Apocalypse Survival Camp – Experience a full week's worth of fun and education activities for one low price! This camp includes: Wilderness Survival, Stayin' Alive-First Aid/CPR, Survival Games, Self-Defense, and Wild Feast.
July 22 - 25
• Totally TV - You’re on TV! Unravel the mystery of commercial tv production as you discover how the entire television crew works as a team. Transportation is provided to UCC for students enrolled in Engineering and Surveying.
• Engineering and Surveying – Dive into the nuts and bolts of one of the fastest growing industries in the world with this fun and challenging way to learn valuable engineering and surveying skills.
• We The Jury –Learn more about the judicial system and develop analytical thinking as you serve in a mock trial.
• Smart Money Management – Discover ways to make money, save money, invest money, and create a smart money plan for the future.
• Career Camp – Experience a full week's worth of fun and educational activities for one low price! This camp includes: Totally TV, Engineering and Surveying, We the Jury, and Smart Money Management.
July 29 - August 1
• Clay Animation – Animate clay with professional animator Christiane Cegavske. Practice the basic principles of animation in this class and you will be well on your way to making your own movies!
June 25 - July 30
• Beginning Drawing – Become a better artist! The course covers basic instruction, and simplifies the images that most frequently challenge artists.
• Intermediate Drawing – Polish your skills as a beginning artist. Learn to draw realistic images with ease and confidence.
June 20 - July 25
• Exploring Knit and Crochet – This hands-on beginner course will take you through the basics of tools, materials, stitches, and techniques, allowing you to follow simple patterns and design simple projects. More advanced students will learn about adding enhancements and perfecting skills.
Summer Sports Camps
July 24 - 25
• Volleyball Camp, Grades 5-8 – Camp covers all aspects of the game: passing, setting, serving and team offenses and defenses. Each player receives a free camp shirt.
July 22 - 23
• Volleyball Camp, Grades 9-12 – Camp covers all aspects of the game: passing, setting, serving and team offenses and defenses. Each player receives a free camp shirt.
• Volleyball Camp, Grades 9-12 – Have your entire team attend camp together! Skill development, team offense and defense, and team bonding are the focus of camp in addition to competitive matches and drills. The camp is open to varsity and junior varsity teams. Each player will receive a free camp shirt.
Free help for the COMPASS test
The Success Center in ESB 15 is now offering Core Skills Mastery (CSM), a proven system of computer-based skill-building designed to help students move into college-level classes. The help is free, open to everyone, and simple to use.
• Get an immediate boost in math and reading.
• Learn advanced problem-solving and thinking skills.
• Gain learning independence.
• Build confidence and learn how to succeed.
CSM courses are self-paced, meaning each student determine when they're ready to move on. There’s no set schedule. Classes can be completed at home, at the Success Center, or anywhere with an internet connection. And, the CSM online program is coordinated with center services, including tutoring, so progress is seamless.
Students can visit the Success Center anytime to get signed up for CSM. Staff will set up a login and provide help with using the system.
Page 1 of 4