Start Your Degree in this Exciting Field at UCC
Umpqua Community College offers an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Fire Science which provides two alternatives. First, the degree prepares you to qualify for the specialized demands of a highly diversified and technological society and thereby gain employment as a firefighter as a result of the training. Second, it provides the first two years of a four-year degree in Fire Science Administration at Eastern Oregon University or Western Oregon University. The length of this course is 20 months.
You can expect to take courses in these subjects:
- Firefighter Safety & Survival
- English Composition
- Fundamentals of Fire Prevention
- Firefighting Tactics & Strategy
- EMT Basic A
- EMT Basic B
- Fire Rescue Practices Swift Water
- Technical Report Writing
- Intermediate Algebra
- Natural Cover Fire Protection
- Intro to Computer Info Systems
- Other Subjects
Completion could lead to employment as:
Fire Prevention Chief
For more information about this field, you may want to explore the Oregon Labor Market Information System website.
Program participants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Not have been convicted by any state or federal government of a crime, the punishment for which could have been imprisonment in a federal or state prison.
- Be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation.
- Be capable of passing a series of basic physical agility tests.
- Possess a valid Oregon driver's license with an acceptable driving record.
For more information contact