Commercial Truck Driving
The CDL Commercial Truck Driving Program at UCC
Become an entry level commercial truck driver in just 4 weeks!
UCC provides high quality training to help students gain job placement with a company that is compatible with their needs. Our four weeks of CDL training excels compared to other programs when you consider the following
- Professional Truck Driver Certification Standards
- Highly experienced PTDC instructors
- Modern equipment
- Excellent classroom and teaching methods which provide the depth of understanding needed to be successful as a commercial driver
- High quality training to help students gain job placement with the best companies
- More Behind-the-Wheel time than other schools with four week programs
Training is provided by an accredited institution with well established policies and procedures as described in the UCC Student Handbook and College Catalog.
The Umpqua Community College Truck Driver Training course includes classroom training covering: logbooks, trip planning, and preparation for all endorsements except passenger. This is followed by road/yard training covering: behind-the-wheel driving, backing, chaining up, make and brake, and completion of the CDL drive test.
Completion of this program could lead to employment as one of the following:
- Chip Hauler
Local Delivery Driver
Long Haul Truck Driver
Sand and Gravel Hauler
For more information about this field, you may want to explore the Oregon Labor Market Information System website.
Applicants interested in this program must meet the following prerequisites:
- Must meet entry assessment scores of MTH10 (40); RD80 (45); WR90 (40)
- Must have a valid Oregon driver’s license with at least one year driving experience and a clean driving record for the last five years.
- Must have no felony convictions in the last seven years (Hazmat requirement).
- Must be able to pass a DOT physical and have a clean urinalysis (DOT pre-employment drug screen).
- Must be able to provide verifiable past work history or schooling.
- Must be at least 18 years old to drive intrastate, 21 years old to drive interstate. Most insurance companies will not accept drivers under 23 years old. If you are not yet 23 you must see the Commercial Truck Driving Program Coordinator as your employment may be limited (See Industry Standards).
Once students have met the program prerequisites they will need to obtain a CDL permit with Airbrake and Combination Vehicle endorsements through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to register for the class.
- Classroom portion will be held Monday through Friday 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM for one week.
- Road and yard training will be held Monday through Friday 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM for 3 weeks with a few exceptions for Third Party Tester availability.
For more information about this program and how to enroll please contact
UCC Contact is
Jesse A. Morrow
Interim Dean of Career and Technical Education
Have you had a commercial driver license in the past and just need refresher training? Click Here for more information.