News Release 08-051-D
Educational Talent Search seeking students for college preparation
News Release 08-051-D For more information:
Release date: 10/31/08 Bentley Gilbert
For immediate release (541) 440-7747
Winchester — The TRIO Educational Talent Search program, hosted by Umpqua Community College, is currently accepting new enrollments. The program serves 600 students from grades 6-12 in Roseburg, Sutherlin, Myrtle Creek and Winston, and there are currently 125 openings.
TRIO Educational Talent Search is a federally-funded program to help students with the potential to succeed in higher education prepare for entrance to college. It is specifically for students whose parents do not have a Bachelor’s degree and low incomes. The program provides academic, career, and financial counseling to its participants and encourages them to graduate from high school and continue on to the postsecondary institution of their choice.
The following services are offered by a coordinator at the student’s high school or middle school:
- Academic, financial, career, or personal counseling including advice on entry or re-entry to secondary or postsecondary programs
- career exploration and aptitude assessment
- Academic tutoring
- Information on postsecondary education, exposure to college campuses
- Information on student financial assistance
- Assistance in completing college admissions and financial aid applications
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams
- Mentoring programs
- Special activities for sixth, seventh, and eighth graders.
Applications can be obtained at the schools, or by calling 440-4606. For questions, please contact: Missy Olson, Educational Talent Search Director, 440-7765.